Benefits of going outside everyday : Today I want to share with you how important it is for you to make time for much needed breaks. That can be a full fledged vacation or just taking some time away from the demands of work and obligations. Research shows that not taking that time can have dire consequences for your health.
Read on and I’ll tell you not only why you need these breaks, but also how to do it.
Americans Are Stressed
You might assume that most men take all the vacation time they can get. But you’d be wrong. According to nationwide surveys, most men aren’t taking enough vacation time. Working men only take half of the time they are allowed. And retired men don’t make enough opportunities to get away from their routines.
Not only that, but research also shows that incredibly, 60 percent of men actually don’t fully vacation while they are on vacation. Working men admit to doing work while on vacation, for example.
That is very unfortunate. Because research also shows that fully taking time for your own needs, interests, and rest is crucial for health – both psychological and physical.
Heart Benefits of going outside everyday
Studies reveal that men who don’t take enough vacations and breaks are at greater risk for heart disease.
The largest ever study on cardiovascular disease – the Framingham Heart Study – has found that men who don’t take regular vacations are 30 percent more likely to have heart attacks. That’s a huge difference all put down to the benefits of vacation.
Another major study involving more than 12,000 men for over nine years found dramatic differences between men who took enough vacations and those who didn’t. In fact, all it took was one vacation each year to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease by 21 percent. The same study also showed an amazing reduction in cancer risk from taking vacations regularly.
Stress is a major killer. In fact, 9 out of the top 10 causes of death are due to stress. Not only does stress dramatically increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. It also increases the risk of cancer, dementia, diabetes, and many more conditions.
Numerous studies have shown that vacations – even just a day or two away from the normal routine – can produce reductions in stress. Plus, the stress relief lasts for longer than the vacation.
As I’ve told you before, depression strikes most men at some point in their lives. And major depression is more common than you might think. Plus, major depression does more than just cause people to feel down. It can have negative impacts on health.
Research has found that men who take more frequent vacations are less likely to be depressed. It doesn’t require full-blown getaways like Caribbean cruises or Mediterranean hotspots either. But studies show that at least one significant vacation per year is necessary. Less than that, and people suffer more depression.
Topics To Read:
- This Surprising Activity Lowers Diabetes Risk By 60 Percent
- The Power of Whey Protein – Read 9 Incredible Benefits of Whey (2022)
Many men make excuses for why they cannot get away. Here are some of the common ones and why they aren’t good enough.
- It’s too expensive – It doesn’t have to be. Studies find that what is important is simply getting away from the usual routine. You don’t have to spend lots of money on long distance trips to exotic places. You can vacation nearby or even from your own home.
- It’s impossible to get away from the routine – Many men who work argue that they cannot escape from work. But since most men aren’t taking advantage of the time they have for vacation, this argument falls short. Still, other men argue that they have other obligations such as caregiving that make it impossible to get away. However, there are people who can take over those responsibilities for a while. And remember, it doesn’t have to be a long getaway. Just an afternoon could make a massive difference. In fact, depending on one’s situation, even just a few hours can make all the difference.
- There’s too much to do – Whether it’s work or other projects, many men think that they can’t get away because it will compromise productivity. But research shows that getting away and taking frequent breaks can increase productivity.
Ideas For Getting Away
If you have been planning a dream vacation for years and you can afford it, then just do it. If you are one of those lucky guys who can get away to the Bahamas for a few weeks and that is something you want to do, then what are you waiting for? Do it for your health.
But whether you can do such a thing or not, what is most important is that you make regular time for getting away from the usual routine. Here are some ideas.
- Make the most of the weekends. Don’t turn weekends into something that you have to do. Make weekends something you enjoy. Make a list of the things you’d really like to do, and make time for them on the weekend.
- Take more walks. During the day, take more frequent breaks and take walks. Or, if walking isn’t possible or doesn’t feel good for some reason, just take the time to sit outside. During these short breaks, just let your mind relax. Make these times special by giving yourself the freedom not to do anything you don’t want to do. Even if it is only for 5 minutes at a time, these breaks can make a huge difference.
- Make daily mini-getaways. Pretend as if you’re on vacation, and act accordingly. This can be for half an hour or longer. So instead of falling into the same old routine, do what you’d do if you were on vacation.
- Whenever you are taking a break or a vacation, unplug completely. Don’t reply to email. Don’t take phone calls you don’t want to take. Don’t try to “catch up” on things.
Getting away from it all turns out to be important for health. Follow the guidelines in this article, and you’ll soon discover that you are feeling better than you have in years.
Topics To Read: